- Madu River Boat Safari
- Turtle Conservation Centre
- Historical Galle Dutch Fort
- Koggala Stilt Fishermen
- Galle Market
- Groupe SizePrice per person
- 2 People105 USD
- 3 People95 USD
- 4 People90 USD
- 5 People85 USD
- 6 People80 USD
- 7 People75 USD
- 8 People70 USD
Price Valid Until 31/10/2024
- Air-conditioned vehicle with fuel
- 2 Water (500ml) bottles per person
- English-speaking chauffeur guide
- All parking and highway charges where applicable
- All taxes
Itinerary idea in detail
Experience the charm of Galle’s history and attractions with this day tour departing from Colombo. Explore the Galle markets, enjoy a boat trip on the Madu River, and visit a Turtle hatchery.
Embark on a enchanting boat ride along the Madu River, a vast wetland estuary with 64 islands. Marvel at the pristine mangrove forest, a protected world heritage site under the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands. Glide through forest tunnels, observing the diverse biodiversity of birds, plants, fish, and animals.
The day tour includes more exciting activities. Sip on refreshing King Coconut Water, visit a Buddhist Monastery, witness Kraal fishing and Ceylon Cinnamon peeling, and indulge in some ‘fish therapy’ at the ‘fish spa.’ If it’s evening, catch a glimpse of fishermen lighting lanterns on traps. It promises to be a memorable day on the serene waters of the Madu River.
After the Madu River boat trip, drive to Galle and visit a Turtle hatchery to see various Sea Turtles. You even have the option to release a baby Turtle into the Ocean. Proceed to Koggala to witness the iconic stilt fishermen in the Indian Ocean, followed by visits to Galle market and fishermen selling their daily catch by the beach in Galle town.
The tour culminates with a leisurely stroll in the well-preserved colonial fort, a UNESCO World Heritage site with a 500-year history. Built by the Portuguese in the 16th century, it flourished during Dutch rule in the 18th century and later under British control in 1796.
Walk through the fort’s main entrance, adorned with British and Dutch symbols. Explore the historic buildings, ramparts, Dutch colonial villas, the clock tower, the Old Dutch Hospital, and the Dutch Reformed Church. Galle Fort is unique as a living historical site, covering 52 hectares with a diverse population. Wander through the old town, visit the Maritime Museum, Galle Temple, antique shops, Galle Fort Mosque, and enjoy sunset views over the Indian Ocean from the fort walls.
- Pick up from Colombo hotel and transfer to Balapitiya – Approximately 2 ½ hours’ drive.
- Boat ride on the Madu River, exploring its wetland ecosystem.
- Transfer to Galle – 1 hour drive approximately.
- Lunch at a recommended restaurant.
- Visit bustling Galle market and see fishermen sell their daily catch.
- Explore Galle Fort for its architecture, history, and vibrant atmosphere.
- Witness the skills of stilt fishermen in the Indian Ocean.
- Visit a Turtle Hatchery to see various Sea Turtles and possibly release a baby turtle.
- Transfer back to Colombo – 2 hours’ drive approximately.